This month marks a milestone for Aes: Brass Revolution: our third anniversary! It was July 2015 when the first version of Aes saw the light of day, crawling its way from a collection of loose ideas and inspirations to become the most popular steampunk tabletop RPG on Facebook.
What have we accomplished in these three years?
- What started as 61 pages in version 1 is now 390 pages in version 10.
- Ten different versions, completing the alpha phase of the game.
- A free Quickstart Guide for new players.
- A mailing list with over 250 people!
- Sponsoring numerous conventions across the country.
- Aes version 10, “Alpha’s End,” is available in print through Amazon!
- And so many positive connections and friendships formed with all of you.
The game and world have evolved well past what we originally envisioned. The level of detail in the lore and world dynamics – assisted by player suggestions – has progressed deeply. The game engine balances simplicity and depth. We’ve reduced the “accounting mini-game” and are still looking for ways to trim it.
That’s where we’ve been. What about where we’re going?
Aes’s Alpha test phase is officially over. Now the Beta test phase begins. From here, the books will spend longer in testing between versions, with each one having more drastic differences. The plan is to not require 10 beta version before the final release – just a handful.
Some of these changes include:
- Revising the talent system and balancing them.
- Overhauling the faculties to increase synergy and playstyle support.
- Revising the Invisible Hand section to support GM’s.
Before any of these changes take place, though, we’re going to do something we planned early in the release cycle: take a break. To best revise Aes, we need to approach it with fresh eyes.
That doesn’t mean Aes will lay dormant. We currently have several testing groups in Austin and other cities. Those will continue along with the steady flow of ideas. But version 10, “Alpha’s End,” will remain the primary version of Aes for a while.
Here’s to the beginning of year 4!